MIRC for Mac OS X: Best alternatives Try out the alternative software to mIRC for Mac which was thoroughly picked by our editors to satisfy your needs. Colloquy Free. By Colloquy Project. HexChat Free. By Berke Victor. HexChat is an IRC client based application for XChat. The program is highly scriptable with Python. HexChat is not available for Android but there are some alternatives with similar functionality. The most popular Android alternative is WeeChat, which is both free and Open Source.If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked more than 50 alternatives to HexChat and nine of them are available for Android so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. HexChat is an IRC client based on XChat for Linux, but unlike XChat it’s completely free for both Windows and Unix-like systems.
|Initial release||6 July 2012; 7 years ago|
2.14.3 / 20 December 2019; 6 months ago
Windows 10 App,
Windows 7+ 64-bit,
Windows 7+ 32-bit,
|Developer(s)||Peter Železný (zed), Brian Evans (LifeIsPain)|
|Initial release||X-Chat 1.0.0: June 29, June 29, 1999; 20 years ago|
|Operating system||macOS, Unix-like, Windows|
|License||Proprietary for Windows version, GNU General Public License for others|
HexChat is an Internet Relay Chatclient, forked from XChat. It has a choice of a tabbed document interface or tree interface, support for multiple servers, and numerous configuration options. Both command-line and graphical versions were available.
The client is available for Unix-like systems; derivatives with native support for macOS's Aqua interface are also available (see below).
XChat's main source code tree has not received any patches since 2013. In the past, some Linux distributions, such as Fedora, maintained their own versions to fix bugs, keep the program working and able to build, and to resolve security issues.
XChats' fork HexChat, formerly the Windows-specific X-Chat WDK, is installed by default on Linux Mint, and is still maintained, as of August 2018.
The Internet Relay Chat client offers a graphical user interface surrounding the basic chat window. It includes all basic functionality found in most other IRC clients, including nick completion, connecting to multiple servers, secure connections,Client-to-client protocol, Direct Client-to-Client file transfers and chats, and a plugin system for various programming languages (including at least C or C++, Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby,Lua,CLISP, D, and DMDScript). Plugins allow extending the features and customization of the functionality of XChat.
The default view for the client window is referred to as 'tree view', but can be configured for a tabbed interface instead. Tabs change color as text arrives, other users enter or leave channels, or another user addresses the user's nickname. The interface can display clickable operator ('op') commands and others, and allows customization of fonts, event sounds, timestamps, and logging. XChat implements all standard IRC commands (e.g.
/JOIN), as well as DCC chatting (
/CHAT), which allows chat to continue if the IRC server is disconnected.
The client runs on Unix-like operating systems, and many GNU/Linux distributions include packages in their repositories.
The main body of XChat code is licensed under the GNU General Public License. However, on August 23, 2004, the official build for Windows had become shareware, and had to be purchased after a 30-day trial period. Previous builds for Windows were removed from the official site. The authors stated that the shareware fee is required due to the excessive amount of time it took to make it compile under Windows. This created controversy as Peter Železný did not have the copyright to all of the code which he was claiming to re-license, as well as linking proprietary shareware enforcement code against GPL-licensed code, making the Windows version of XChat a violation of copyright law and the GPL.
However, since the Unix version of XChat's code is free software under the GPL, several free non-official builds for Windows are being maintained.
- Silverex's Windows build based on XChat 2.8.6 (discontinued)
- XChat Aqua or XChat Azure for macOS
- lurc, an IRC client based on XChat 1.0
- HexChat (formerly XChat-WDK), cross-platform fork which adds various features
XChat has been described as popular, buildable for a variety of platforms. In its heyday it was rated one of the best IRC clients for Linux.IRC Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools goes into depth explaining its setup, configuration, and advanced features under Unix and macOS.
- ^'News'. XChat.org. September 18, 1999. Archived from the original on 1999-09-21.
- ^XChat Subversion repository history, showing few commits other than to plug-in code since 2010
- ^'Package xchat'. apps.fedoraproject.org. Retrieved 2016-09-18.[permanent dead link]
- ^ abHexChat News
- ^Announcement of HexChat Posted on 06 Jul, 2012
- ^Whaples, Thomas (2004). 'Hack #2: XChat'. In Mutton, Paul (ed.). IRC Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools. O'Reilly Media. p. 63. ISBN978-0596-00687-7.
- ^IRC Hacks, p. 90.
- ^IRC Hacks, p. 93.
- ^Xchat-Ruby Plugin Website. ruby.sourceforge.net
- ^xchat Lua plugin. ankh-morp.org.
- ^xcdscript home pageArchived May 1, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. ludost.net.
- ^ abArnote, Paul (September 2009). 'Internet Relay Chat: The Forgotten Chat Frontier'Archived 2012-07-29 at the Wayback Machine. PCLinuxOS Magazine.
- ^'FAQ'. xchat.org.
- ^'Shareware background'. hexchat.github.io.
- ^Preston, Allan K. (June 2006). 'XChat for Windows(review of release by Silverex)'. IRCReviews.org. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- ^XChat for WindowsArchived 2004-08-25 at the Wayback Machine. xchat.org. 'Q. Why can't XChat for Windows be free? A. [..] Building XChat for Windows is a difficult process, it requires quite some skill and expertise to accomplish. It takes time, and is by no means automated. [..]'
- ^'xchat.org :: View topic - About Windows release licensing'. 2007-02-16. Archived from the original on 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- ^Build Lineup. xchatdata.net.
- ^ abIRC Hacks, p. 3
- ^Hudson, Andrew; Hudson, Paul; Helmke, Matthew; Troy, Ryan (2009). 'Internet Relay Chat'. Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition: Covering 9.10 and 10.4. Sams Publishing/Pearson Education. p. 124. ISBN978-0672331091.
- ^'Five Best IRC Clients for Linux'. Archived from the original on 2015-03-02. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- ^IRC Hacks, p. 11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HexChat.|
- Official website
- #xchatconnect on freenode
- #xchat[permanent dead link] on EFnet
- Toxin XChat Themes Installer[permanent dead link]
Hexchat Alternative For Os X Download
HexChat 2.10.2 LATEST
Mac OS X 10.9 or later Cooking flavour download.
Author / Product:
HexChat Team / HexChat for Mac
Error unable to request shsh 3utools. May 06, 2019 Iphone 6s Plus error unable to restore idevice(-2) Fixed 100% Flash Done Applay All Iphone Models Iphone 4, 4s Iphone 5, 5s Iphone 6, 6s Iphone 7, 7s Iph. Sep 25, 2018 3uTools-Forum. Welcome to 3uTools forum. Here you can find all information about iOS and 3uTools. 14:53:19 Querying for SHSH file on Apple Server 14:53:20 Saving SHSH file to our server. What is strange is that the main device page in 3uTools reports all of the information about the phone without fail. So I don't think it is a NAND issue. Oct 10, 2017 How to Fix Error Unable to Request SHSH on 3uTools or iTunes Error 3503? Please click 'Check Update' at the right bottom of 3uTools, and then update to the latest version of 3uTools, V2.16. Then you can restore on 3uTools. Please check the network connection and USB connection before you. Feb 06, 2017 a.) 3uTools can store the SHSH on its cloud server so that you can get it back easily later. B.) As to the iOS firmware versions below iOS7.0, it’s not required to care about Apple’s closing the firmware signing; you can still “backup SHSH from device” even though the Apple has stopped the firmware signing.
HexChat for Mac 2020 full offline installer setup for Mac
Hexchat Alternative For Os X Windows
When you first start HexChat for macOS, the connection needs to be set up by selecting the appropriate networks. You must also make a nickname for yourself too. Have 2 extra nickname options on standby in case your first choice is not available.
HexChat for Mac based on XChat gives you convenient features, such as an automated connection to chat rooms that are defined by users. This saves you time because you won’t need to search for a long list of rooms to find the one you want. Another thing you can do is choose a network and display the window which has a list of channels. There are search options available in this window to help you find rooms that way too.
If you’ve ever used an IRC client, then the conversation window should seem familiar. The list of active users in the chat room will be seen there. It will show their status in the rooms, such as an administrator or standard member. Channel operators can grant admin privileges to any person in the room. They can also kick out users and ban users too.
If you’ve written commands in an IRC application before, then you’ll be pleased to know that you can do the same in Hex Chat. These commands can help you do things like changing your status, discover a channel’s total number of users, change a nickname, etc.
When you publicly chat in a room, everyone there can see your messages. But if you want to chat privately with certain users, you can do that too. The conversation window contains options for initiating who-is commands, ping commands, file transfers to an interlocutor, and DCC chat requests.
Another function of the program is the automatic text replace feature. If you make mistakes while typing, this feature will help correct them. It also has configurable options for URL handling, capabilities for URL grabbing, ignore lists, friends lists, keyboard shortcut customization, and so much more. Furthermore, you can bring its functionality to scripts and plugs as well.
Overall, you can use HexChat to communicate with anyone throughout the world. It has an array of features and a GUI that most people are already familiar with. Best of all, it is an open-source program which already puts it ahead of most IRC clients out there.
Also Available: Download HexChat for Windows