Jan 15, 2019 In order to prepare to upgrade to High Sierra you should, of course, verify if your Mac is compatible with the new system. As a general rule, any late 2009 Mac or newer will theoretically be able to run it without any issues. Next, you should do a thorough Mac cleanup to have it running smoothly even before upgrading. A complete cleaning.
Apple File System (APFS)
- APFS is a new, advanced storage architecture providing an extensible foundation to support new features and future storage technologies on the Mac.
- APFS brings support for the latest high-capacity storage devices and delivers enhanced performance, security and reliability.
- With APFS, common operations such as copying files and directories are nearly instantaneous.
- Data is protected from power outages and system crashes thanks to advanced data integrity features.
- APFS currently supports every Mac with all‑flash internal storage — support for Fusion and HDD Mac systems will be available in a future update.
- HEVC (H.265) is a new industry standard that enables extremely efficient compression, streaming and playback of video.
- HEVC enables users to watch 4K video files at full quality, while requiring 40 percent less storage space than the current H.264 standard.1
- With HEVC, Apple is enabling high-quality 4K video streaming on networks where only HD streaming was previously possible.2
- Hardware acceleration on the new iMac and MacBook Pro delivers incredibly fast and power-efficient HEVC encoding and playback.
- Developers like Adobe, Blackmagic Design, GoPro and more are joining Apple in adopting HEVC.
- Metal is Apple’s advanced graphics technology and the fastest, most efficient way to tap into GPU power on the Mac.
- Metal 2 supports next-generation experiences like machine learning used in speech recognition, natural language processing and computer vision.
- Metal 2 features a refined API and improved performance that’s helping developers, including Unity, Epic, Valve, Pixelmator and more, accelerate their future apps.
- With the combination of Thunderbolt 3 and Metal 2, the most demanding Mac users can now access powerful external GPUs.
Upgrade To Mac High Sierra
- With Core ML, Apple brings the power of machine learning to all Apple developers, enabling the creation of entirely new kinds of apps.
- Core ML takes full advantage of Metal and Accelerate, delivering incredible power, speed and efficiency to machine learning operations such as computer vision, natural language and support for convolutional and recurrent neural networks.
- All of the computation and processing driven through Core ML is done on-device in a way that respects customers’ data and privacy.
- Developers are already using Core ML to enhance apps like Pixelmator Pro, which uses machine learning to detect and understand various features within images and create intelligent editing solutions.
- macOS High Sierra adds support for VR content creation for the first time, enabling developers to create immersive gaming, 3D and VR content on the Mac.
- Leading VR companies are working with Apple to drive VR innovation on the Mac with features coming later this year.
- Valve is optimizing its SteamVR platform for macOS and enabling connection of the HTC Vive headset, while Unity and Epic are bringing their VR development tools to macOS.
- Later this year, Final Cut Pro X will add support for professional 360-degree VR workflows with the ability to import, edit and export 360-degree video on the Mac.
- An updated, always-on sidebar and new filtering and selection tools make photo organization quick and easy.
- A refreshed editing UI includes powerful new editing tools like Curves, for fine-tuning contrast, and Selective Color, for making adjustments to a specific color range.
- Live Photos can now be edited with fun effects, like Loop, Bounce and Long Exposure, and users can also choose a different key photo.
- Third-party editors like Photoshop, Pixelmator and other apps can be launched from Photos, with edits saved back to the Photos library.
- Support for third-party project extensions provides access to printing and publishing services from Shutterfly, WhiteWall, Wix, ifolor, Mimeo and Mpix from right within the app.
- Safari stops media with audio from automatically playing in the browser, and Reader can automatically open articles in a clean, uncluttered format.
- Intelligent Tracking Prevention in Safari detects and eliminates cookies and other data used by advertisers for cross-site tracking, to help keep a user’s browsing private.
- Siri on the Mac responds with a more natural voice and learns music preferences, creates custom playlists and answers music trivia when using Apple Music.
- Touch Bar on MacBook Pro gets new Control Strip options plus an improved color picker and more video controls.
- Notes adds simple tables, allowing a user to type in cells, make edits and move rows and columns.
- Spotlight provides flight status information, including departure and arrival times, delays, gates, terminals and even a map of the flight path.
Images of macOS High Sierra
1 Amount of disk space saved depends on specific video file and hardware used. Actual results may vary.
2 The playback of 4K HEVC content requires a Mac with a sixth‑generation Intel Core processor or newer.
Apple Media Helpline
High Sierra is an update of MacOS which focuses mostly on back-end developments and a higher level of user security. As such, this operating system lays a foundation for future upgrades.
In essence, High Sierra took what was good with Sierra and developed it into a more comprehensive software.
High Sierra emphasizes the already-existing benefits of MacOS previous system, Sierra. There are few bells and whistles, but the changes are noticeable and positive. The Apple file system is the most significant feature it brought. It enables the storage and encryption of a large number of files. Thus, it boosts performance and helps manage device memory issues.
Apple also introduced new formats for video and photos in this version. These formats compress data - that’s a benefit as files can get huge with ever-rising resolutions. They added support for virtual reality headsets as well.
Besides that, when it comes to Safari, Mac search engine, there are some notable improvements with the update. The users can now control annoying auto-play videos, prevent tracking, and more. There are also notification controls, and you will experience a boost in performance, too.
The most noticeable changes took place in Apple’s Photo App, though. It went through a total revamp both visually in its interface and terms of tools and functions available. Many other discreet changes happened all over the system.
Where can you run this program?
If you’re running Sierra on your Mac, you will be able to run this one as well.
Is there a better alternative?
Yes. Subversion for mac os x 10.100. Mojave, the newest version of MacOS, brought even more improved features to the table. However, if you can’t run it on your device, this is the second best.
Last version of firefox for mac os x. Spell Checking. Mozilla Firefox is a cross-platform browser, providing support for various versions of Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.Firefox Features. Improved Tabbed Browsing. Search Suggestions. Functions can be added through add-ons, created by third-party developers, of which there is a wide selection, a feature that has attracted many of Firefox's users.
High Sierra is not the shiniest upgrade Apple brought, but it’s one that sets the stage for new upgrades to come. Even out of that context, it’s a great operating system.
Should you download it?
Yes, if your device can support it. The new options and better security settings are worth getting.