Have been looking at the Denon DNP-720AE which looks to be a good choice, trouble is that to take advantage of the higher resolution audio I would need to stream it as DLNA - and my Mac don't do that..
How to resolve this, how to stream DLNA from a Mac?
UPnP is an alternative name for DNLA, both suck.
- X-DLNA Internet Browser detects videos in web page content and let you to play them via any DLNA device or Smart Tv in your Network. Simple, powerfull and free. X-DLNA (free version) does not relay the video stream but only transmit the video file link to your DLNA device. You can switch off your computer after the video playback has started.
- AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) For PC can be easily installed and used on a desktop computer or laptop running Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and a Macbook, iMac running Mac OS X. This will be done using an Android emulator. To install AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) For PC, we will use BlueStacks.
There are some DNLA server programs for the Mac but see my comment above. The Roberts manual for the 93i has the following to say on page 37.
Mac Guides on MacRumors. Retrieved May 14, 2014. Archived from on February 2, 2017. Update macos command line. Retrieved 2017-11-20. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
Here is a short selection of alternative UPnP server programs, although many others are available:
World class DLNA support built right in Plex makes your media beautiful on thousands of DLNA certified devices like the PS3, Xbox 360, and WDTV Live devices without the need to install dedicated apps. Harness the power of the most sophisticated DLNA server available to effortlessly stream nearly any format to your device, right out of the box.
The Music Player on the sound system can playback audio files in MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC and WAV formats. WMA Lossless files can also be played when using Windows Media Player as the UPnP server. Note that the playback of files encoded using WMA Voice, WMA 10 Professional, and of files which have DRM protection is not supported by the sound system.
- AssetUPnP (Windows) * **
- Mezzmo (Windows) *
- MediaTomb (Linux, Mac OS X) *
- Serviio (Windows, Linux, Max OS X) *
- TVersity (Windows) *
- Twonky Media Server (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) *
Dlna App For Mac Os X El Capitan
* = free of charge or trial versions with limited functionality are available at the time of writing. ** = other platforms in development.
When using a UPnP server, the search and selection criteria are determined by the server software, not by the sound system, but typically include searching by Artist, Album and Genre. Many server applications also allow you to access your files according to the folders within which they are stored as well as other criteria. Windows Media Player is less flexible than some other UPnP servers in this regard, but is generally easier to set up.
Please refer to the documentation for your chosen server program for full details of its configuration and usage. Some Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices and some routers include UPnP/DLNA server software.
The manual is available here http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/User_guides/Internet_Radios_PDFs/Stream93i. pdf
Dlna App Mac Os X
As a general comment, not all UPnP/DNLA software supports a function called 'transcoding' which means the automatic conversion of a music file to a format compatible with the desired device, so as the RobertsStream 93i does not support Apple Lossless if you try using that and your device does not support that format it may not work. I refer you again to my first comment. ðŸ˜‰ You should therefore have you music in either MP3 or AAC format for best changes of success.
Dlna App For Mac Os X Mac
Free App For Mac
The following is a list of DLNA software from MacUpdate - https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/dlna