Mar 27, 2020 How to Make Bootable Pen Drive Unbootable in Mac. To make your bootable pen drive normal in macOS, you have to open Disk Utility program that can be done in two ways. Either press Command+Space to open Spotlight Search. Type Disk Utility and press Enter. Mar 12, 2020 A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the Internet, but it does require the Internet to get information specific to your Mac model, such as firmware updates. If you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, use the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. Mar 12, 2020 A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the Internet, but it does require the Internet to get information specific to your Mac model, such as firmware updates. If you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, use the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. Mar 09, 2011 Many users are aware of some boot commands for Mac OS X that provide different functionality for your system. The following is a more comprehensive list of the keyboard commands you know and many. There are times when your Mac may misbehave and refuse to boot into OS X. You may get a sad Mac face, an audible beep, or another ailment keeping your Mac from properly booting.
There are various ways to boot macOS. Aside from using the built-in Startup Manager, you can also boot into Verbose, Safe, and Target Disk modes. In addition to this, macOS users also have an option of picking a disk to boot the operating system from. But let’s delve into something more specific. You’re about to find out how to boot your Mac up directly from external storage, specifically flash storage or a USB-based flash drive. Learn how to create bootable flash drive for Windows 10.
Why You Need to Boot from External Drive?
There are many occasions you may have trouble with your Mac.
- Corrupted system files and Mac crashes unexpectedly.
- Mac runs very slow with sufficient storage.
- You have deleted some system files wrongly.
- You couldn’t login to your Mac.
- Troubleshooting purposes.
Let’s begin with the obvious question here; what are the basic requirements for creating bootable USB for Mac?
How to Create Bootable USB Drive for Mac?
- USB drive with sufficient storage space.
- Access to a working and supported Mac.
- Format USB to Apple supported file system.
- Get installer file for macOS.
- Create bootable USB.
- Booting Mac from Startup Manager.
If you are not able to login to your Mac, you need to use Time Machine backup disk. Otherwise you should have another Mac for creating a bootable USB.
1. USB Drive
The macOS installer file is large with approximate size of 6 to 10GB depending upon the version. Also the process needs to sufficient storage space on your USB. So ensure to have at least 32GB or greater storage space on your USB drive.
Remember to copy and backup the USB since you need to delete the entire content for creating the bootable drive.
2. An Intel Based Mac
Apple transitioned to an Intel processors in 2005. In other words, if your Mac is not older than 2005, you should be fine.
3. Format USB Flash Drive to Apple File System
First, plug in your USB drive. Press “Command +Spacebar” to access Spotlight, then type “Disk Utility”. You can view the current file system of the USB drive. In our example, we have FAT32 file system which is compatible on Windows. You need to erase and format the USB to be compatible with your Mac.
Click on the “Erase” button on “Disk Utility” and choose the format as either APFS or Mac OS Extended. In most cases, your Mac will show the supported format by default and you don’t need to change it. On older Mac, you will see an additional scheme option, choose “GUID Partition Map”. Click on “Erase” button to continue further.
Use audio port for el capitan 2. Aug 31, 2015 Backup computer. Create bootable El Capitan USB drive. Install El Capitan in your Mac internal hard drive using bootable USB drive. Adjust Audio Port Settings. If you using HDMI external display with sound, some user thoughts HDMI sound devices no longer controllable on OSX. Go to System Preferences -sound and change from HDMI to Headphone port. Oct 13, 2015 Hello, I'm having the same problem with a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers. Worked perfectly in Yosemite. Now with El Capitan, if I don't play audio for a while, pause a video, or switch tracks, the sound will be routed to the internal speakers of my MacBook Pro. Aug 25, 2016 Change it from HDMI to Headphone port. Solution No 3: Use Terminal command. If you knew any other way to fix ” Audio issues after upgrading Mac OS X EL Capitan”, inform us via comment. Running El Capitan and recently upgraded ram to 2x 4gb on Macbook Pro 2009.
Disk Utility will delete all content on the USB and format it in the selected APFS or Mac OS Extended format.
4. MacOS Installer File
In order to create a bootable USB drive for Mac, you need download Mac OS installer. Open App Store on your Mac and search for the latest macOS version. Remember, App Store will only have the latest version which is macOS Mojave at this point when we write this article. Search for “macOS mojave” and click on the “Get” button.
This will start downloading the installer file to your “Applications” folder.
5. Creating USB Installer
After downloading, the installer will automatically ask you to install macOS Mojave. Simply quit the installer without starting the installation.
- At this point, ensure you have inserted the formatted USB drive, let’s say the name of the USB volume is “Boot Disk”.
- Also make sure the downloaded macOS installer file is in “Applications” folder.
- Press “Command + Spacebar” and search for “terminal” to open Terminal app.
- Copy and paste the below command in Terminal and hit enter.
- You need to enter admin password to proceed further.
- Terminal will ask you to confirm erasing the volume, press Y and hit enter to confirm.
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Boot Disk.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return:
- Now the erase disk process will start to copy the installer file on the USB drive. After successful completion of the process, name of the USB drive will be changed similar to the installer file name like “Install macOS Mojave”.
Note that Apple discourages booting with an earlier macOS version than the version your device is shipped with.
6. Boot Mac from USB
Follow the below process to boot your Mac from bootable USB:
- Insert the bootable USB installer drive and go to “Apple Menu > Restart”.
- When your Mac restarts, press and hold the Option key till “Startup Manager” opens.
- The Startup Manager scans and lists the drives that are connected and bootable.
- Note that the Startup Manager will only list volumes that include bootable volumes. If you only see “Macintosh HD” like below then the USB drive is not connected to your Mac or not created properly with the installer file.
- Select your Wi-Fi network name from the “Choose Network…” dropdown and enter the password to connect to internet. Remember, you need to have an internet connection for installing from USB as the installer needs to get updates for your Mac from Apple’s server.
- Double click on your USB that contains the macOS installer or highlight it and press the return key.
- You will see macOS Recovery app and choose “Install macOS” option from Utilities.
- It may take long time depending upon your Mac to start booting with macOS Mojave.
As simple as the process seems, it tells you a lot about your system. For example, if a USB flash drive that contains a bootable copy of macOS doesn’t show up on the Startup manager, you may need to repair the disk permission. Also, remember to format the USB drive with a APFS or Mac OS Extended format.
That said, now you know how to boot up another version of or a copy of macOS and troubleshoot possible issues with your device.
Create A Bootable Macos Usb
Every user wants to “create bootable macOS Mojave installer with a flash drive or USB“. Somehow installing macOS Mojave becomes easy if you create a bootable installer of macOS Mojave. There are several reasons why we choose to create a bootable installer. First and foremost reason is you can easily complete clean install on mac. Besides this you can install macOS Mojave on multiple Macs, there is no need to download the installer again and again.
As it is bootable so you can use to troubleshoot devices for macOS Mojave. Check out, How to create MacOS Mojave installation Drive.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
how to make macOS Mojave Bootable install USB drive
Before starting the process, you will need to have few things for the proper functioning of bootable USB.
- A USB drive of 16GB or more is preferable, and if any data is stored in it, it will be removed when you make a bootable installer for macOS Mojave.
- Mac with App Store and good internet connection.
- macOS Mojave downloaded the file: “Install MacOS Mojave.dmg” from the Mac App Store stored in the path /Application/folder. Download This file from Developer Beta Downloader. Go to Download MacOS Mojave Developer Beta on Mac. and Don’t go for “Install screen” on Mac.
- Mac must be compatible with macOS Mojave 10.14.
How to make macOS Mojave 10.14 bootable installer USB drive.
Step 1: Connect the “USB drive” with Mac. – At Least 12 GB Storage.
Step 2: “Format the USB drive” with macOS “journaled extended format”. [If You Can’t Show PenDrive – Format Drive on Windows System First]
Step 3: Download macOS Mojave 10.14 version from the Mac App Store.
Step 4: As soon as download gets completed it will ask you to install, quit out and leave that macOS Mojave application is /Application/folder on your Mac.
Step 5: Now launch the “Terminal”. [Type Terminal in Spotlight Search [Command + Space]]
Step 6:Enter the command,
If necessary, you can replace UNTITLED in below command line with the name of USB drive name.
Install MacOS Mojave Public Command:-
sudo /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled — /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app
Install MacOS Mojave Developer Beta Command:- [For Developer]
macOS Mojave downloaded the file: “Install MacOS Mojave Beta.dmg” from the Mac App Store stored in the path /Application/folder. Download This file from Developer Beta Downloader. Go to Download MacOS Mojave Developer Beta on Mac. and Don’t go for “Install screen” on Mac. Run command Below in terminal
sudo /Applications/Install macOSMojave Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled –applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS Mojave Beta.app
Step 7: Click return key and then also enter the administrator password.
Now Type “Y” to move on next steps for booting your Drive.
Step 8: The process of macOS Mojave installer will begin, and it will take some time to finish.
Once the USB drive is ready, then you can use it on any other bootable macOS drive. Alternatively, restart the Mac with the attached bootable USB drive installer and then install macOS Mojave in your Mac. There are various options available to use macOS Mojave USB installer drive.
While installing of you are getting an error message like command not found then it is likely possible that you have entered wrong code. And also check that the path is same as mentioned above /Application/folder.
NOTE: This process is available for macOS Mojave developer version only, not for the macOS Mojave public.
How to boot from macOS Mojave USB Install Drive
Mac Os Mojave
Step 1: Connect the USB drive to the Mac.
Step 2: Restart the Mac and press and hold the Option key.
Premium Support is Free Now
We are happy to help you! Follow the next Step if Your Solution is not in this article, Submit this form without Sign Up, We will revert back to you via Personal Mail. In Form, Please Use the Description field to Mention our reference Webpage URL which you visited and Describe your problem in detail if possible. We covered your iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 8(Plus), iPhone 7(Plus), iPhone 6S(Plus), iPhone 6(Plus), iPhone SE, SE 2(2020), iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPad All Generation, iPad Pro All Models, MacOS Catalina or Earlier MacOS for iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, WatchOS 6 & Earlier on Apple Watch 5/4/3/2/1, Apple TV. You can also mention iOS/iPadOS/MacOS. To be Continued..
Step 3: From the menu, select install macOS10.14
Step 4: Now follow the prompts and install the macOS 10.14 Mojave on your mac.